Thursday, March 1, 2018

Venice, Italy



Venice is one of those places in the world that is very special and unique.
It was a place on my want to visit list, and was happy to be able to visit there last year.
We travelled in the water taxi which ferried us to the Hotel Danieli  where we stayed. Some of the scenes of 'The Tourist ' movie were filmed here, with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp.
The Murano glass chandelier in the Hotel was really beautiful.

Every morning we would get up bright and early to explore as we had heard that places like St Marks Square got very crowded.


Over breakfast on the deck of the hotel, we would watch in amazement as most days, three large cruise ships sailed up the Giudecca Canal disgorging its thousands of passengers into the street.

We saw many signs around the City saying 'Tourists stay away from the World Heritage Site, the locals had enough of the hordes of people that were making living there unpleasant for them.
The Restaurants and shops though would be happy to see people dining, shopping and spending money.


 

The light was truly magical, especially at dawn and dusk and loved how the  bridges crossed over the canals to enable you to walk everywhere.  The gondoliers with their striped tee shorts of red or navy with a straw boaters  must have incredible balance to be able to stand and manoeuvre the boat along.
They used to be famed for serenading to their passengers, but only a few could be heard singing and some had music coming from a machine.



 
One of the most famous bridges in Venice is the 'Bridge of Sighs' built in 1600.

If you visit Doge's Palace like we did, you get to walk over this on the way to the prison cells. The bridge is enclosed and made of white limestone and has windows with stone bars and connects the new prison to the interrogation rooms. I found this very sad and that would have most likely been the last time  they would get to see Venice
Thank you for reading my blog and hope you liked seeing a few snapshots of this unique City.
Happy March and hope all is well with you.
hugs
Carolyn

24 comments:

  1. Oh beautiful Venice!
    My husband and I traveled Venice decades ago!
    Your photos make me recall our trip. Have a nice day,Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dearest Carolyn,
    thank you for those lovely pictures!
    Venice is wonderful ....
    Have a wonderful week, sending much Love and hugs,
    Claudia xo
    I did not have Internet connection since monday, so I am happy, today it works fine again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you loved this so charming city of ours, Venice is truly unique, you said it, dearest Carolyn!

    Hoping that all is well with you too,
    I'm sending blessings on your month of March

    XOXO Dany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone should see Venice at least once in their lifetime. Such pictures and memories will always be priceless and special for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Carolyn,
    It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I love your pictures. Venice is really wonderful to visit.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been to Italy several times but never to Venice. I'd like to see it one day. It's wonderful that you could check it off your want to visit list, dear Carolyn. Thank you for sharing your lovely trip!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful city - lovely photos of your time there. How sad about the bridge, though. My daughter and fiance' are planning their honeymoon in Venice after we gather for a family vacation in Tuscany this Sept. I will show her these photos. I hope your week is lovely, dear Carolyn. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'so glad You stayed in Italy! Venice is unique. I think it's the most romantic city of the world. Your shots are gorgeous
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent post (as always)!Thank you very much :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Carolyn,
    So happy that you finally got to see Venice.
    My very first trip was in 1982 after I'd done some consulting work in the area.
    It was a lot lovelier then as in consecutive years we've sometimes come upon a very smelly city... Also the way too crowded streets with an overload of tourists is hard to make you walk and take in the beauty.
    But at least you got to go and indulge in it!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    PS we lived and worked in Italy only 45 minutes away from Venice so going there was easy... And we flew out of Venice often as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowwww....beautiful.....look Great beautiful place to be.....but i don't like water....so not my thing a boat...love happy weekend from me Ria x ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Venice is really unique!For someone who lives so far away, it's truly a chance not to be missed. Thanks for sharing Carolyn!
    Happy new month!
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendida Venezia
    https://testoprovo.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pics, darling!
    I love Venice!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh, my lovely Italy! Beautiful pics hun!
    Kisses, Paola.

    Expressyourself

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's fun, I ususally stay in the same hotel of you, the Danieli, everytime I go to Venice (until the recent times I went there with my family almost every year for the carnival, then my parents don't want to go more since the risk terrorist attack...! It is very well placed to get easily every place of this city!
    Venice is magical, isn't it? :)
    XO
    S
    https://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Venice is a beautiful place to visit, Carolyn. So glad you got to travel there last year and see it. Jess rode on the wonderful gondola rides when she visited years ago. Such an old and charming place, isn't it?

    Happy March days, Carolyn.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's really a nice place to see. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Rosemary it is definitely somewhere that you should visit in a lifetime. We first saw it as the sun was setting, as we flew into the airport it was a magical sight. It is interesting that you mention " Tourists stay away", they are doing the same in Lisbon, as the locals can no longer afford to live n the centre of their cities. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful place ...
    Lovely to see your photographs.

    Happy March

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. We often see these places as a visitor and seldom think about how residents have felt of our walking around. Thanks for your words. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. BEAUTIFUL! What a place!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've always said that a city is a cit is a city. But if I were to travel anywhere, it would be Venice, because it's very unique. What a gorgeous place! I'm not sure I'd be able to heed the signs to stay away from the heritage site, but I guess I'd have to try. Thanks for the tour, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dearest Carolyn,
    Venice is truly a unique city! I've been here twice - first as a very young woman, along with two girlfriends, and years later as the starting and ending point of a cruise ... Yes, cruise ships and cruise tourists are no longer very welcome in Venice. In a way, I can understand it - the mighty ships are disturbing the skyline of the city and tourists are literally flooding Venice. But tourism is, as you say, the biggest source of income in Venice ... So, that's a dilemma ... Thanks for your wonderful pictures!
    Happy week to you,
    XOX Traude (just returned from another trip and a very special blogger meeting!)
    http://rostrose.blogspot.co.at/2018/03/blaugrunes-wunder-oder-asiatisches.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Draffin Bears.
It always makes me happy to read your comments
and I look forward to visiting you.


Carolyn xx